dumptruck_ds is a host on the Quakecast (w/ ArrrCee), a prominent Quake mapper, proprietor of the Quake Mapping Community Discord and creator of excellent Trenchbroom tutorials on his YouTube channel. In this interview we cover his origins in Doom and Quake, how he got into mapping, some of his favorite podcast guests and plenty more.
dumptruck_ds & ArrrCee
I’ve been a big fan of the Quakecast ever since I first heard their episode with Jeremiah ‘KillPixel’ Fox. dumptruck_ds and ArrrCee captivated me with their energy, interview styles and with the insanely cool guests they got. Getting the inside scoop on Wrath: Aeon of Ruin was one thing, but hearing KillPixel tell his incredible life story is another thing entirely.
dumptruck_ds is the analytical, careful, detailed master of digging deep into his guest’s psyche. ArrrCee is the wild card because of his ability to maintain a casual atmosphere and bring the room back to base level even after an insane tangent onset by his co-host which is essential to the chemistry that makes Quakecast so special.
My Favorite Episodes of The Quakecast
- This episode is special simply because of KillPixel’s INSANE journey into creating one of the most highly anticipated FPS games in recent memory.
- Do I have to spell this one out for ya? Hearing this episode… It changed my life. Without spoiling the interview… Moose grew up only a few towns over from me. He shares a very similar (and later-in-life) discovery of Quake and I had never met or even heard of him. Because of my hearing this episode, we’ve not only established a great working relationship between USQC & The Keep, but have become close friends as well. PS: I love you, Moose!
- I distinctly remember this episode because I was in the middle of one of the most runs I’ve ever been on and it kept my legs moving. Qmaster was such an interesting guest due to his passionate work on Citadel, his years-long attempt to recreate System Shock for a modern audience. Also his Quake mod is called The Keep… 😉
- Immorpher was on quite recently and this episode struck me because of his particular niche, creating dark ambient soundtracks for Doom and Quake. Not only that but he’s a fucking scientist!
- Do I need to spell this one out for you?
- I’m told that I was directly involved in this interview happening… Whatever the case, the fact is that M3ssia’s efforts to keep QuakeWorld alive in North America is one of the most fascinating stories circulating in our community. Show him some love in his new home: US QuakeWorld.
- This episode still hurts my soul. Not because Andrew FUCKING Hulshult isn’t my favorite composer in all of gaming (he totally is), but because it premiered the day after I first interviewed him a Quakecon 2019. Regardless, his appearances on Quakecast and on In The Keep are both highlights of my life.
So what’s my ALL TIME favorite Quakecast episode?
- Just kidding, but it truly was an honor to be asked to be on the show because it gave me a chance to tell my story and to spend time with two of my biggest heroes in both podcasting and the Quake community.
dumptruck_ds’s Quake Mapping Community
The Quake Mapping Community Discord is a wonderful resource for all things in mapping because it’s a safe and wonderful place to share your art and receive honest and positive feedback from some of the most prolific names in the mapping scene.
This stems from dumptruck_ds’s spectacular YouTube channel because that is where he shares his vast and all encompassing knowledge of TrenchBroom. His tutorials and compilations are the perfect introduction to both new and returning Quake mapping enthusiasts. His latest project, The progs_dump Devkit, is an attempt at giving mappers the ability to create the projects of their dreams and has exciting new cooperative play implications.